Colorado Guardianships and Conservatorships

Not all of us can manage our affairs for all of the days of our lives. For minors, the disabled or the elderly, society has provided a mechanism to protect our most vulnerable citizens. This is accomplished through a court-appointed person who manages the assets (known as a conservator) and/or manages the person (known as a guardian).

At the law firm of JR Phillips & Associates, P.C., our lawyers help clients in the south Denver metro area and throughout Colorado obtain the legal authority to take care of loved ones in situations such as the following:

  • To take care of a parent who has Alzheimer’s or dementia
  • To resolve family disputes over the care of a parent
  • To manage personal injury settlements or inheritances for minor children
  • To care for an adult disabled child

These laws are specific, technical and exacting, and require appearances in court. To become someone’s guardian or conservator, you need an attorney who understands both the law and the human sides of these difficult situations and then can do something about it. We help you get through these difficult times as easily and reasonably as possible.

Our lawyers also prepare special needs trusts to provide assets to an incapacitated person without making him or her ineligible for governmental programs such as SSI, SSDI and Medicaid.

In many cases powers of attorney can provide the legal authority you need to take care of a vulnerable family member without the need for guardianship or conservatorship. However, a person can only complete a power of attorney designation if he or she has the legal capacity to do so.

Call Today for a Free Consultation

Call 303-741-2400 or fill out the contact form on this website to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.