John R. Phillips
Partner and Founding Attorney
John brings a rich and diverse business and practical business background to the practice of Law. He received his undergraduate degree from Louisiana State University and his Juris Doctor from the University of Denver School of Law where he served on the Law Review. Admitted to practice in 1982, he has handled a variety of types of law, but has found Estate Planning to be the area in which he wishes to specialize.
As Director of Sales and Marketing for the National Network of Estate Planning Attorneys, John taught mature lawyers from coast to coast how to develop a client-centered estate planning practice. This involved teaching the technical legal side as well as a thorough understanding of clients and their motivations.
John has taught interviewing and motivational skills as well as the fundamental business techniques required for practice development.
He has had a strong business background in both domestic and international business. He has worked in large corporate environments as well as small entrepreneurial ventures. He has had strong experience in both high-tech and consumer products.
Our Denver estate planning lawyer has written and teaches extensive Continuing Education courses in Estate Planning for CPAs, CFPs, Attorneys, Investment Executives and Insurance Professionals, as well as teaching the academic estate planning module for CFP candidates. He has had articles published in national periodicals.
John is also a Certified Financial Planner, an Adjunct Professor at Metropolitan State College in Denver, a member of the Colorado Bar Association, the Arapahoe County Bar Association, the Will and Probate Section of the Colorado Bar Association, National Association of Elder Law Attorneys, and the Better Business Bureau.
John is extensively involved in his community serving on several non-profit boards of directors, is active politically, and performs regularly with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra Chorus.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning
- Probate & Estate Administration
- Workers’ Compensation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Licensed to Practice Law, Supreme Court, State of Colorado, 1982
- Certified Financial Planner Certificate, CFP Board of Standards, 2000
- Series 6 & 7 Licenses, FINRA (Formerly National Association of Securities Dealers -NASD), 1998
- Health & Life (Variable), Colorado, Department of Insurance, 1996
- University of Denver College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- Law Review: University of Denver School of Law Review
- Louisiana State University
- Will Versus Trust: Which Is Better, Personal Financial Planning Monthly, October 2001
- Divorce and Estate Planning, Apollo Group, Audio Series
- Joint Tenancy All You Need to Know, Apollo Group, Audio Series
- Adjunct Professor, Metropolitan State College in Denver
- Estate Planning for Finance Majors, Metropolitan State College
- CFP Preparatory Course Estate Planning, 30 hours, Metropolitan State College
- CFP FastTrack Course Estate Planning, 30 hours intensive immersion, Metropolitan State College
- CFP Review Estate Planning, 1-day review, Metropolitan State College
- Estate Planning Made Understandable
- The Graying of America
- Estate Planning for Seniors
- Explaining Estate Planning to Client
- Nuts & Bolts of Estate Planning
- Family Limited Partnerships
- The More You Give The More You Receive
- Benefits of Charitable Giving in Estate Planning
- Understanding Retirement Plan Distributions
- Basic Business Succession Planning
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- Basic Estate Planning Made Understandable
- Advanced Estate Planning Tools and Techniques
- Understanding the Demon, Estate and Gift Taxation
- Probate – Has the Beast Been Tamed?
- Somebody Died: What Must Be Done
- Estate Planning for the Insurance Professional
- Estate Planning for CPAs Basic (12 hour)
- Estate Planning for CPAs- Case Design Series
- Estate Planning for CPAs Advanced (3 4-hour courses)
- Estate Planning for CPAs – Ultimate
- The Colorado Federal Estate & Gift Tax Workshop
- The Complete Trust Workshop
- Colorado/Federal Fiduciary Income Tax Workshop
- Estate Planning Techniques for Mid-Sized Estates
- IRS Form 706 & 709 Preparation Workshop
- The Ultimate Retirement Planning Workshop
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Arapahoe County Bar Association, Member
- Denver Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Member
- AARP Legal Services Network, Member
- South Metro Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Paine Webber Legal Network (Former)